When the council tax rebate will be paid and who's eligible for the £150 support payment – iNews

Millions of households will receive a council tax rebate of £150 this spring as part of a package of measures designed to combat the cost of living crisis.
The payment is intended to ease the financial strain caused by factors such as the energy price cap rise, which comes into effect from April.
Rishi Sunak announced the measures at the start of February, on the same day that Ofgem confirmed the major hike to the price cap.
Here’s everything you need to know about the rebate, from who is eligible to receive it to when the payment will be made.
People who pay their council tax by direct debit will receive the £150 rebate from April, according to the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities.
There is no need to apply for the rebate. However, councils have urged people to ensure they have a direct debit set up so that it can be paid as quickly as possible.
If you already pay your council tax to your local authority by direct debit then the one-off payment will automatically be credited to your account.
But if you don’t pay by direct debit, your local authority will get in touch with you to arrange the payment.
Getting the money to council taxpayers without direct debit arrangements takes longer, according to the Local Government Association (LGA), as councils will need to attempt to contact them about the rebate scheme and undertake pre-payment checks.
The rebate is being paid to households in council tax bands A to D in England – this affects around 20 million households, including 95 per cent of rented properties.
This criteria has been mirrored in Scotland with its similar scheme, and the Welsh Government said it will offer similar terms too.
If you live in England or Wales you can find out your council tax band by entering your postcode into the government website right here.
You can also use this service to challenge your council tax band if you think it is wrong.
Those who live in Scotland will need to use the Scottish Assessors website.
Firstly, you should check with your bank or building society that your account can accept direct debit instructions as some cannot.
Then you will need to complete a council tax direct debit form provided by your local authority, which you will find on its website.
If you don’t know it, you can find out your local council using the Government’s postcode checker here.
You will require your council tax account reference number and your banking details to complete the form, and once the application has been received it can take up to 10 days for it to be set up.
All rights reserved. © 2021 Associated Newspapers Limited.